Ok – most families have that one recipe that is “theirs”. Well, this Sausage and Peppers recipe is my father’s. He made this up a number of years ago, and it is really a fantastic recipe. Its hot, savory, spicy, and a bit of Italian meets Russian! It is a simple crock pot recipe that feeds the masses!
- 3 lbs Italian Sausage (we prefer spicy)
- 1 large Vadalia or Yellow onion, diced
- 2 cans of diced tomatoes, or 32 oz of fresh diced tomatoes
- 1 whole bulb garlic (or 6 cloves, depending on size – but go heavy handed here), minced
- Salt, to taste
- 4 tbsp. basil
- 2 tbsp. oregano
- 1 bottle of pickled pepperoncini peppers, including the sauce (remove the stems, and slice them up)
- Fry the Italian sausage in a frying pan. Remove the sausage from the grease, but leave the grease for the next step in the frying pan. Add the cooked sausage to the crock pot.
- Fry the diced onions until caramelized but not burnt. Add the minced garlic near the last 2 minutes. Add to the crock pot when complete.
- Add all other ingredients to the crock pot.
- Cook for 4-5 hours on slow. Do not let burn!
- Serve over rice (brown or white) or on a hard Turano style roll!