Russian Salad (commonly called Salad Olivier)
Russian salad is a traditional new year dish for Russians, and is also something that is served at many family events and name-days. There are many variations on the ingredients based on what the family’s have available to them, but the base is usually the same. Its a delicious salad, served cold. If you love macaroni or potatoes salad, you will love this dish!
A note on the vegetables: don’t over cook them! And don’t under cook them! You want them firm and crisp, but still completely cooked. If they get mushy, you over did it. If they are raw, no one will enjoy it! So – take your time!
- 1lb of small cubed ham (~1 cm)
- 16 oz of sweet peas (1 can, but fresh is best!)
- 3 medium size potatoes
- 4-5 medium size carrots
- 5-6 eggs
- 1 bunch of green onions
- 1 bunch of fresh dill
- 5-6 medium size cucumbers (pickled with salt not with vinegar! see Russian
- Salted Cucumber recipes)
- Ground black pepper
- Salt by taste
- Mayonnaise to taste – but be generous
- 1 teaspoon of spicy Dijon (or English) mustard
- Skin the potatoes
- Boil carrots and potatoes to cook.
- Cool carrots and potatoes to room temperature BEFORE you continue.
- Hard Boil
- the eggs.
- Cool the eggs to room temperature.
- Dice everything into cubes approximately 1 cm in width
- Place the diced carrots and potatoes into a big bowl.
- Add the peas (note: if using fresh, boil and cook first, and drain. If using canned, drain).
- Add the eggs to the bowl (be gentle while mixing)
- Add the cubed ham
- Dice the pickled cucumbers. Make sure that you only use cucumbers pickled with salt and not vinegar!!
- Chop the green onions and dill , and add to the bowl.
- Begin adding the mayonnaise and mix everything thoroughly. Add the mayonnaise to taste. You want it wet and bound nicely, but not taste like mayonnaise soup! If you want a bit more zest (my preference), use Miracle Whip!
- Add ground black pepper and salt to taste till you are happy with the flavor.
- CHILL!! Then serve.