This is a slightly more advanced recipe, only because of the number of ingredients (that may be somewhat hard to find). But, if you are adventurous enough to do so, you won’t be disappointed! This Green Curry soup is a very savory and spicy soup, and has all of the flavors of a good Thai curry without the rice! If you like yours a bit spicier, add fresh jalapeno slices! I usually double the recipe because it is so good, and a bit of work!
- 3 lemongrass stalks
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped well
- 4 inches of fresh ginger root, skinned and chopped well
- 2.5 pounds of skinless, boneless chicken thighs, cut up into chunks
- 12 ounces fresh white mushrooms, sliced
- 2 tbsp. Green Curry paste (or fresh if you know the recipe)
- 3 tbsp. premium fish sauce
Juice of 1 lime
- 2 (14 ounce) cans of coconut milk
- 1 onion, sliced
- 1 cup roughly chopped fresh cilantro
- Peel and slice lemongrass talks, and chop. Add lemongrass with ginger and garlic to large pot over medium heat. Cook for 60 seconds in light oil.
- Stir in chicken broth and bring to boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Strain out lemongrass, garlic, and ginger and throw away. Set broth aside.
- Debone and remove the skin from the chicken thighs, and cut into 1 inch pieces. Cook in pan with light oil till cooked thru (~5-10 minutes).
- Near the end of browning chicken, add mushrooms and cook for remaining 5 minutes.
- Add back to broth from earlier, and put back on heat.
- Stir in Green Curry, fish sauce, lime juice, coconut milk, and return to simmer for 20 minutes.
- Near last 5 minutes, add sliced onions.
- When time is up, add cilantro and stir in.